Newsletter Subscribe
Enter your email address below and subscribe to our newsletter
[forminator_form id="25163"]

artforum+1galeriemagazinefox7austinFour Renaissance masterpieces by 15th-century painter Antonello da Messina were stolen from the Regional Museum of Messina in Sicily on Saturday night, August 15, while tens of thousands of residents celebrated the annual Feast of the Assumption in the streets outside. The brazen heist, carried out in under five minutes, has sent shockwaves through Italy's art world and raised urgent questions about museum security.
The thieves struck during the Procession of the Vara, one of Sicily's largest religious festivals, using the crowds as cover. According to Artforum, surveillance footage shows the criminals inside the museum for less than three minutes. At least three masked individuals entered through a side entrance around 9:50 p.m., bypassing alarm systems and smashing glass display cases to access the works.artforum+1
They made off with all five surviving panels of the San Gregorio Polyptych, a 1473 altarpiece that had never left Messina, along with a double-sided devotional painting depicting the Madonna and Child on one side and Christ in the Pietà on the other. Two of the five polyptych panels were later found abandoned outside the museum, leaving three panels and the devotional work still missing.smithsonianmag
Art expert Alberto Fiz estimated the stolen works' value at between $81 million and $92 million. Italy's Culture Minister Alessandro Giuli described the works as being of "extraordinary value for our cultural heritage."fox7austin+1
Sicilian Governor Renato Schifani said the museum's alarm and video surveillance systems "worked" and that "no grey area will be tolerated," announcing an internal inspection into whether custodial staff bore any liability. Four guards were reportedly on site, but it remains unclear why no one intervened when alarms sounded. Galerie Magazine reported Monday that Italian police said the heist may have been an inside job.galeriemagazine
Art crime analyst Lynda Albertson cautioned that the works would be nearly impossible to sell on the open market. "Stealing an Antonello may be far easier than selling one," she said. "If these are ordinary thieves, they will soon discover that — to their cost."fox7austin
Only about 40 authenticated works by Antonello da Messina survive worldwide. The stolen polyptych panels were the only works by the artist still displayed in his native city.smithsonianmag
The theft came just days after Italian authorities celebrated the recovery of paintings by Renoir, Cézanne, and Matisse stolen in March from a museum near Parma. It also follows the Italian government's purchase earlier this year of Antonello's "Ecce Homo" at Sotheby's for $14.9 million, which brought renewed attention to the artist's surviving works.smithsonianmag
Museum director Marisa Mercurio told the Guardian: "They have stolen works of enormous cultural, artistic and symbolic importance, not only for Messina but for Sicily as a whole." Mayor Federico Basile declared: "A heritage belonging to all the people of Messina has been violated. Messina will not let its history be stolen."smithsonianmag