Newsletter Subscribe
Enter your email address below and subscribe to our newsletter
[forminator_form id="25163"]

axiosaxios+1axiosU.S. and Saudi forces carried out joint precision airstrikes in eastern Iraq on Tuesday targeting Iran-backed militias, U.S. Central Command announced, marking an escalation that came hours after CENTCOM confirmed intercepting an Iranian ballistic missile attack aimed at American forces in the region.
CENTCOM said the strikes hit multiple militia logistics and weapons facilities in eastern Iraq, targeting groups operating under the direction of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. The joint operation responded to more than 30 drone attacks over the previous 72 hours carried out at the IRGC's direction against U.S. troops and Saudi energy infrastructure.criticalthreats
"The IRGC and its proxy forces must cease attacks to avoid further US military response," Central Command said.
The strikes followed days of intensifying militia aggression. On July 27, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Iraq all reported hostile drone attacks, with Saudi authorities attributing the strikes to Iran-backed Iraqi militias. Saudi Arabia intercepted the drones, and its airspace remained open as of July 28.solaceglobal+3
Earlier Tuesday, Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps launched multiple ballistic missiles at a U.S. military base in Jordan in what CENTCOM described as an "attempted surprise attack". All missiles were successfully intercepted, CENTCOM confirmed at 5:45 p.m. ET.instagram+2
The missile launch marked Iran's first direct ballistic missile attack on a U.S. base since President Trump paused strikes against Iran last Friday to pursue diplomatic channels. Trump had told Axios on Monday that the U.S. was in "very deep talks" with Iran but warned he would return to "very strong military action" if diplomacy failed.axios
The Iranian attack came hours after Trump met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House for talks focused on Iran. It also targeted the same country where two U.S. service members were killed in a missile and drone attack earlier this month, which had prompted Trump to intensify a 13-night campaign of strikes on Iranian military targets.centcom+1
Saudi Arabia's involvement in joint strikes with the United States reflects an evolution from its earlier, quieter role in the conflict. Reuters Thomson Reuters Corporation previously reported that Saudi fighter jets struck Iran-backed Iraqi militias near the Iraqi-Saudi border around the time of an April ceasefire. The new joint operation represents an overt partnership between Washington and Riyadh in countering Iranian proxy forces across Iraq.reuters+1
CENTCOM noted that Iran-backed militias in Iraq had attempted more than 600 attacks on Americans and U.S. facilities between February and April.