Newsletter Subscribe
Enter your email address below and subscribe to our newsletter
[forminator_form id="25163"]

timesofisrael+1reutersndtv+1US President Donald Trump's envoy Jared Kushner wrapped up two days of talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Hamas leaders on Monday, predicting that progress toward disarming Hamas could materialize within a month — though the meetings ended without a major breakthrough as both sides held firm on key demands.
"We could be seeing progress… in as little as 30 days, hopefully starting to take some of the weapons out, and hopefully, you know, filling in some of the tunnels as well," Kushner told Fox News while in Tel Aviv after a four-hour meeting with Netanyahu in Jerusalem.timesofisrael+1
The meeting followed rare direct talks Kushner held with Hamas political leader Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt on Sunday — only his second known meeting with the militant group. Despite Kushner's optimism, Reuters reported no signs of an imminent breakthrough, with both sides digging in on sequencing disputes over Israel's withdrawal and Hamas's disarmament.reuters
Netanyahu's office described the discussions as "deep and constructive" and said the two sides agreed to establish two working groups — one on disarmament and demilitarization, and another on sanitation, clean water, and public health issues in Gaza. A senior Israeli official told AFP that both sides "agreed that no redeployment or reconstruction would take place in the Gaza Strip before Hamas is disarmed throughout Gaza," with an American general overseeing the decommissioning process.ndtv+3
The fundamental sticking point remains sequencing. Netanyahu, trailing in polls ahead of October 27 elections, rejected the Board of Peace's 15-point roadmap earlier this month, insisting Israel would not withdraw until Hamas is completely disarmed. Hamas has said it agreed to the plan but that implementation depends on Israel first halting attacks and beginning its withdrawal.nbcnews+1
Kushner framed the situation as a "win-win" for Israel: either Hamas disarms "willingly over the next 60 to 90 days" or "Israel will have a lot more support from the US and others to go and finish the job in the appropriate way."timesofisrael
The talks unfolded against a backdrop of growing regional frustration. Foreign ministers from eight Arab and Muslim countries issued a joint statement on Sunday condemning Israel's rejection of the roadmap. Meanwhile, far-right Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir called for "targeted killings" of "30 or 40" people in Gaza every night, remarks that NBC News reported drew wide attention in the Arab world.euronews+1
More than 1,200 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since the ceasefire took effect in October, according to Gaza's health ministry, whose figures are considered reliable by the United Nations.ndtv+1